Make Money Online

 

Thursday, August 23, 2012

Are You Too Clever For Success?

Online Success and You


I have just got back from Washington DC where I was attending Yanik Silver’s Underground Online Seminar. What an amazing event – truly the Best Underground Online Seminar ever and the first time I was a speaker. (The Young Moguls Day was a huge Success)


Michael Dunlop and Vishen Lakhiani at Underground Online Seminar Speakers Dinner
Michael Dunlop and and Vishen Lakhiani Enjoying Yanik Silver’s Underground Online Seminar Speakers Dinner

This was the 5th time in a row that I had attended Yanik’s event and I have to say Yanik’s Underground Secret Agents (Speakers) really delivered. Much Inspiration, Many Ideas and Lots of FUN


There will be more about The Underground Online Seminar on IncomeDiary.com in the coming weeks but for now I want to ask you a question:


Are You Too Clever For Success?


OK, it may appear a rather silly question but I was inspired Vishen Lakhiani (From MindValley.com) and his presentation in particular. You see Vishen proudly proclaimed to the audience that he was a C+ Student.


My personal view having seen Vishen speak at Underground Online Seminar is that he is appears more like an A Star Student than a C+ but I think the point Vishen was making is that you don’t have to be CLEVER in the ACADEMIC way in order to be SUCCESSFUL.


Now, don’t misunderstand, I am not saying it is wrong to be clever, of course that is good, but when being ‘too clever‘ gets in the way of your success you need to look out.


Being ‘too clever’ as defined by thefreedictionary.com is:



To be too confident of your own intelligence in a way that annoys other people



Personally I think being ‘too clever’ is nothing more or less than arrogance – and unnecessary confidence which stops people learning from people that they consider of lower intelligence to them.


Many of the most successful entrepreneurs I have met have Flunked School / Dropped out of College – yet have went on to create hugely successful businesses.


In my experience:



Successful Entrepreneurs are Smart, Capable and Confident in their abilities



Successful Entrepreneurs BUY Talent by hiring the A + Students!


Any of you who have been following my blogs for any length of time will know (and have noticed) I am Dyslexic. I try not too make too big a deal of it – it is a challenge, but over the years I have worked out ways to make it look less obvious in print. (Spell Check etc). I have also been know occasionally to email a Blog Post to my mother for her to check the grammar.


That said occasionally (quite often) a grammatical error or spelling mistake will get published. I am fortunate in that I have a dedicated band of loyal readers who will politely point out my errors (thank you) — but then occasionally I get an email from a ‘clever person’ that frankly can only be described as rude.


I may not be ‘clever’ in an Academic way – but I do believe I am SMART. Smart people ask questions.



Smart people hustle while ‘clever people’ would be afraid to – that ultimately explains why Smart People become successful entrepreneurs.



One email I received recently was particularly offensive. I will not repeat it here (they get automatically deleted in any case) – but basically they said they did not respect me, thought I was ‘dumb’ (that’s putting it politely) and thought the Internet would be a better place without people like me writing blog posts!


I suspect this person would describe themselves as CLEVER and I dare say that academically they are – and almost certainly they are quite ‘intellectual’ but alas I think their superior ‘intelligence’ and thought pattern is actually going to mean they will end up as bitter, sad and relatively poor people, simply because they cannot see the big picture.


(I wonder if this person would have sent a similar response to someone who was blind or physically disabled in some way?)


In my experience, Smart People Ask Questions


I know from speaking to other successful bloggers (some of whom really are very clever) that we all get BITTER emails like this – seems to be that is you want to inspire people to make money online or break free from mediocrity that you can attract Hate Mail.


Of course in the end these sad individuals and their response do themselves more harm than then can ever do me – but I do get ‘upset’ when people like this steal the dreams of other people.


I have said this before – but I will say it again:



If a young college dropout and dyslexic can succeed online – why not you?



Of course I know I know I have many A+ Students reading this blog. Indeed one thing that really impresses me is the number of Professional and VERY CLEVER people who read this blog — some with MANY Letters after their names. These people clearly get what I am about and they have not allowed their superior intelligence get in the way of their success. I respect them for that.


Thank you for indulging me on this rant – but when you meet the number of people I meet who are trying every way they can to achieve online success you do naturally get UPSET with these sad individuals who are trying to steal the dreams of others.


Finally here is a quote by Henri Bergson – it pretty well sums up my strategy for business and life success:



Think like a man of action ~ Act like a man of thought



Let me know your thoughts and your experiences with people trying to steal your dreams AND do check out the PS’s


Very Best Wishes


Michael


PS: This short clip shows the closing session from Vishen Lakhiani’s amazing presentation at Underground. Vishen literally Rocked The House!



PPS: On the subject of cleverness – to find out why insanely smart people from around the world give up traditional job ideas and instead come and work for Vishen Lakhiani and MindValley visit mindvalley.com/careers YOU WILL BE IMPRESSED!


PPPS: I don’t know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody ~ Bill Cosby

0 comments:

Post a Comment